Poça da Dona Beija – Furnas, São Miguel – Azores
It is in the Poça da Dona Beija, on the Island of São Miguel , that you can enjoy moments of relaxation unique in hot springs.
Watch the video at the end of the article.This is one of the places most visited by tourists given its characteristics and magic.
It has not always been very popular with tourists, since by 2010 nothing of what you see today at the Beija Dona Pool existed. It all started in a single well, which was used and frequented by people. Since it was not a space managed by any entity, the access was free but not always the stocking was enough for the other curious.
The space was eventually closed to the public in the year 2007 as the conditions of safety and public health were not guaranteed. It was then in the year 2010 that, after works of intervention in the space and through a public tender, the management of this space was attributed to the company Criações Naturais Lda.
Fotografia de Daniel Santos
It was precisely on November 29, 2010 that they opened the doors to the public of what is known today as Poça da Dona Beija. A space with refinement, organization and that receives daily maintenance. Also on this place is located a small gift shop and full-time security.
More recently, at the end of 2015, it underwent some improvement works that allowed the addition of two swimming pools.
It is divided into 5 hot thermal pools / tanks, with different depths and average temperatures. Denominated Ribeira, Serena, Mística, Convívio Thermae and Meditação.
Fotografia de Bruno Sousa
Poça da Dona Beija is located in Furnas, on the island of São Miguel. At a distance of about 30 to 40 minutes by car – from Ponta Delgada. The location is easy to reach and has a car park.
One of the great advantages is the open hours, which runs until 11 pm local time. The last entry is only accepted until 10 pm 30 m.
Open: 07 am
Close: 11 pm
The cost of entrance in the space is 6.00€ for adults and 4.00€ for children up to 6 years.
Tips to enjoy Poça da Dona Beija
Being this a prestigious place, you should take into some aspects in your visit.
- It is recommended that you wear a bathing suit or dark colored swimming. Given the iron waters, light-colored bathing clothing tends to be a yellowish / orange color that – often – will be difficult to remove.
- If you want to enjoy the space without many people, visit it in the early hours of the day (between 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.);
- Did you catch a rainy day? Do not worry, being in the hot springs while it rains at the same time will be a unique experience!
- During summer it is recommended that you frequent this place in the cooler hours (morning or evening). During the day and in the hot sun you can feel extreme heat.
- It is not allowed to eat in the space.Therefore you should not carry any type of food to the interior.
- Given the size of the various pools / tanks, you should respect the space of the remaining users. It is not allowed to jump, dive or swim in the hot springs.
Fotografia de Liliana Borges
Fotografia de Liliana Borges
Fotografia de Cristina Aires
Fotografia de Susana Martins
If you are looking for a moment of relaxation without a doubt this will be an activity to take into account in your visit to São Miguel Island. In reality after visiting this place for the first time you will fall in love with it. Visit and you’ll understand why. Good baths!